The unique look of these early Mercury's was not lost on Jordan so when he spotted this one at a club meet, he new he had to have it. Someone, perhaps the previous owner had it soda blasted and so it appeared lie its namesake.
The KD-4 came with several new parts that where in need of replacement such as impeller, coils, condensers and plugs.
Perhaps the most difficult puzzle to get past on the KD4 was the stuck prop. It was very much seized on the shaft and every attempt to get it off was taking its toll on the blades. We made a jig out of plywood by using a drum sander on a drill press. We carved it to support the blades so the lower unit could hang freely with the jig held firmly in the vice. After several courses of heating (propane torch) and cooling (snow bank) and much persuasion with a hammer on the prop shaft (prop nut threaded on), it finally eased off. No grease was spared in reinstalling it after the water pump impeller was replaced.
We installed an inline see-through fuel filter purchased at a lawnmower repair shop that was small enough to fit under the front shroud since the in tank filter was dissolved long ago.
The restore was completed by painting the KD4 with the traditional dull aluminum paint, applying reproduced decals and clear coating the gas tank to prevent the decals from rubbing off. Jordan gave it a little character by painting the spark plug covers, flywheel and prop with dull gold paint.
After what seemed like an eternity of pulling it over, it finally coughed out a ball of carbon (if Al Gore could only see me now ...), and sputtered to life. Once warmed up, it actually runs quite well ... in a bucket.